Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Plath

I feel Plath really wants to give the woman's point of view in a man's world. Tulips is a depressing poem for me. Its like she's in pain and just wants to be left alone, utterly alone, but everyone seems to be bothering her. "Nobody watched me before, now I am watched." It is like no one cared before, but now that she is in the hospital they do. It is like her life is slowly slipping away from her. She has no control over it anymore. I could imagine that this would be a scary thing for anyone. "I watched my teaset, my bureaus of linen, my books Sink out of sight." She is loosing the life she once had...as she sits in this hospital bed day after day.

1 comment:

  1. I like this idea of the woman's point of view to a man's world--her work does feel gendered, and she seems to embrace not only the soft but the hard side of being female (motherhood in particular).

    ReplyDelete