Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Lowell

I really like this poem, because I feel like it relates to small town America. I happen to be from one of those 200 person towns so this poem really struck me. It's like everything the town was special for is going away. It's going away for new improved things...from a small town to a growing metropolis. This is actually what is happening to my town. We now have a grocery store and two mini malls if you will. My grandparents hate it actually. They see our traditions going out the window with every new thing that gets built. This poem really mirrors their feelings. The statue that was once a town motivator is going to be gone. Its kind of like the values and morals are getting torn down more and more each day as a new building goes up. It's a bittersweet poem in the end. He's happy for new things, but the memories of the old way of life will be missed. I understand exactly how he feels here.

No comments:

Post a Comment