Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Negro

Negro by Langston Hughes is probably one of my favorite poems. Throughout he compares how he was a somewhere far off but how he is still a slave in America. "The Belgians cut off my hands in Congo. They lynch me still in Mississippi." It's really crazy how something was happening in Africa, which most Americans think of as an uncivilized land, but basically the same thing is happening here in America. Hughes wants the American people to know that they go on the same boat as people from Africa. "Under my hand the pyramids arose. I made mortar for the Woolworth Building." He compares how in Egypt he made the pyramids but still here he works for the white man constructing a building. It actually compares well with "Look Within" by Claude McKay where we need to analyze ourselves before criticizing other countries or areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment